NOTE:   The information below is for U.S. citizens and resident aliens.

International students should refer to UA’s International Tax website. 

An enrolled student, or the person who can claim the student as a dependent, may be able to claim an education credit on Form 1040 or 1040A. The Form 1098-T is a statement provided by the educational institution, which is required to support any claim for an education credit.

The University of Alabama 1098-T Forms are issued by the office of Student Account Services. Statements for 2017 will be issued January 31, 2018. For students who have opted-in for electronic delivery, the 1098-T will be available online. See instructions on “How do I access my 1098T (Tuition Tax Statement)?” at the following link:

If a student did not opt-in for electronic delivery, the Form 1098-T will be mailed to the student’s permanent address.

For questions about your 1098-T Form, please contact:

Student Account Services (205) 348-5350

To see if you qualify for a credit, and for help in calculating the amount of your credit, refer to IRS Pub. 970, Tax Benefits for Education, Form 8863 and Instructions, and the filing instructions for Form 1040 or 1040A, available on the IRS website

Under the current tax law for 2017 tax year reporting, the University has taken the option to report in Box 2 “amounts billed” rather than Box 1 “payments received”. Therefore, Box 1 will be blank. Also, the amount in Box 2 may be different than what you actually paid. When figuring an education credit or tuition and fees deduction, use only the amounts you paid (and are deemed to have paid) in 2017 for qualified education expenses.

For further details, review the IRS resources listed above, or consult your personal tax advisor.